Let it Snow.

The scene:


So it started snowing Wednesday night, and just kept right on going into early Thursday afternoon. We couldn't see to drive to work on Wednesday, so we've had an extra long weekend, which would normally be quite nice, and it was, except that on Thursday morning when I took Maybe out, I decided that instead of staying on the porch like an intelligent human being, that I should try to get into the car for a box of Kleenex. I made it down the front steps with minimal drama, and all the way to the car. Just when I thought I was home free, both of my legs flew out in front of me and I crashed to the ground. I don't remember the actual fall, just the landing, (directly on my tail-bone, without benefit of even trying to catch myself). There was a terrible cracking sound, and my whole body was just...I don't even know the word...I felt like someone had dropped me off a roof. Because I couldn't move anything at first, I was terrified that my back was broken, it was 7am, dark, snowing, and really, really cold. I did not think I would be able to get into the house, and I was quite convinced that I would just have to freeze to death, and so be it.

I'm not sure how long I stayed on the ground, I'm sure it was only about 5 minutes or so, but it felt like hours. Justin was in the house sleeping, so in spite of the fact that I screamed for him, there was no way he could have heard me. I tried to dial 911 on my camera, surprisingly, it didn't work. Maybe, sensing that there was trouble and channeling Lassie, broke out of her terrified huddle in the snow (she'd never seen it before, and was quite scared), and managed, through nose prodding and whining, to convince me to get up off the ground. I didn't want to traumatize her any more than necessary, so I managed to stagger into the house. I think that if Maybe hadn't harassed me, I probably would have just stayed there, and happily became a pop-susan. She was a very brave dog and was rewarded with a wasabi-peanut.

I made it to Justin's room and got warmed up. I told him the story and since Justin is a fan of authority, he made me go to the emergency room for my broken tail-bone. However, the nurse there was like, "well, we can do an X-ray for you, but even if it's broken there's not a thing we can do about it." So after a short discussion we left. I don't need to pay for an emergency room visit if they're not even gonna fix me. (My HMO should send me a Christmas card.) Sooo, my tail-bone is probably broken, and it's very-very difficult to sit down, and to get back up again (getting up is worse). It's also hard to roll over in bed and riding in cars is just torture (although, probably not as bad as maybe riding on a train...or a horse. I haven't tried that yet). They tell me it will be like this for about 6 weeks. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

On the cheerful side, I did get a pretty good picture of Maybe in the snow:

No comments: