Addiction


I generally do not think of myself as someone who has an addictive personality. I've never really smoked, never done enough drugs to mention, and one martini knocks me flat... Because of these things I've never been able to muster up much empathy for those who are trying to stop smoking, drinking, drugging or what-have-you. Until I have unearthed my own addiction: caffiene.

It sneaks up on you really. I'm not a coffee drinker and haven't ever said the words "wait until after I get my caffiene," but the addiction is there people! And it's freakin' hard to give up. I've tried to stop drinking anything but water and other clear or naturally occuring liquids only, since my ugly kidney infection from a few weeks ago. But it constantly calls to me "go find a diet pepsi..it won't hurt...only one...if you don't we'll make you a huge angerball with a raging headache." So far I've survived about a week and a half. And I now have more understanding of what Justin is going through. (He stopped smoking, practically cold turkey in February, I'm very proud.)

The thing is though, I think it's easier to stop smoking. They (whoever those experts are) say that caffine is more addictive than heroin or something, and people just push it all the time! At restaurants, it's practically impossible to get anything to drink that's non-caffinated and diet. I know they make these beverages, and that they are available in stores...but I don't know why restaurants never have them. (Yes, I know that water is always an option, but it's almost always tap water, which is truly disgusting and way more likely to give me some sort of disease.)

So here I am, chuging bottled water, and green tea (yes, I know green tea has caffiene, but it's a different kind or something) and wishing that I had a diet pepsi. I think my dad is taking us to dinner tonight. I think it will be to Savannah's which has great Mexican food, but only tap water or soda to drink. Perhaps we'll make it BYOB.

No comments: