Direct Deposit Disaster

Yesterday was the most frustrating day ever. It started out like a normal day, and then Justin came to my office at 11. (Which for those of you keeping track is now my new lunch hour.) I was happy to see him until he told me that he was there with bad news.

Damn.

Apparently the account that my check was supposed to be direct deposited into yesterday afternoon was closed on Wednesday due to "inactivity." Well of course it's been inactive! It's been empty, happily awaiting my check! What are you supposed to do with an empty bank account? Ugh.
So, we went to HR and they told me that all they could do was wait for my check, currently floating in cyberspace to be bounced back to them. Hopefully today, so that I can have a check by Monday. We called the bank who offered to open a new account, but when asked if they could transfer my money directly into that they said no. Well what good would a new account be then?! Soon we realized that that was just the beginning of the problems. My IRS refund check was also slated to be deposited into that account. After half an hour of talking to automated IRS hotlines, we finally got a person who told us the same thing HR had. They have to wait until it bounces back too, and then cut a paper check which will take a couple of extra weeks. AUGGH. I don't want to wait extra weeks for my money, that's why I e-filed and why I asked for direct deposit in the first place. Stupid bank. They should have at least called or something so that I could have notified HR and had my paycheck redirected.

On top of that, rent was due yesterday. Naturally. I was totally freaking out because if it's late, that's a $75 penalty, plus $10 per day until it's completely paid, and I had no idea how long it would be before I had money. Thankfully Justin's stellar roommate paid my rent, which I'll pay him back for.

Also, apparently the electricity was turned off in my apartment yesterday morning. Beth forgot to pay the bill, but it's on now, so I guess it's worked out.

Anyway, I'm still incredibly angry about this whole situation. No one I've talked to thinks that a bank can close an account without some notice to the account holder, but I don't know if I have any recourse in this. *sigh* I really wanted to do something for Valentine's Day, but I don't get paid again til the 18th (assuming HR gets it together and doesn't try the direct deposit again). Oh well, there's still Justin's birthday on the 21st. We're going to see "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" at the Campus Theatre and maybe eat at Fudrucker's. Mmmh.

No comments: