Thanksgiving...

Justin and I are leaving at some ungodly hour for Amarillo tomorrow to celebrate Thanksgiving. Then, on Thursday, we're going to stuff ourselves at his grandmothers house, and drive (again) to Levelland to see my family, for further stuffing. Friday we have a whole day to digest before more driving to Lubbock to see my mother and her family. Sunday we're coming home. It's a total of fourteen hours in the car, and something like 837 miles, but we should never be hungry again.

I'm really looking forward to this holiday, in spite of the driving. It's been since July since Justin's seen his family, and since September since I've seen mine. It never really struck me when I moved just how much I'd miss my parents. I guess I'm thankful that we get to go home. I'm also thankful that I work for a city government that deems it appropriate to give me FIVE days off for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and FOUR days off for New Years. Does anybody really still reflect on the things they're thankful for this holiday? I mean really, besides children and the very religious...I think that most of Americans have sort of filtered it down to being about eating enough to sustain you throughout the marathon shopping the next day. Not that I'm not one of them, but I've recently started to really find my spirituality again, and it seems appropriate to at least think about the roots of things again.

I'll write about how the whole family circus that is Thanksgiving goes when I get home.

No comments: