If It's Not One Thing...

It's sure to be something else equally upsetting. I haven't posted in awhile because everytime I feel like I have something of interest to report, it's something bad. This makes for a really whiny, stinky blog. However, this is a matter of some importance, and perhaps I can make it mildly entertaining.

We have a massive water leak under our house. I think it must have started off small, but our water bill has been steadily increasing by about $40 a month, every month for about 6 months. Looking at the bill we received yesterday, we owe the City of Levelland $140 for water and our monthly usage is 38 thousand gallons. This is a lot of water people. Apparently there's a small resort town under our home...I'm sure it's teeming with lots of lovely guests like mold, algae and bacteria. Buy your tickets early, the busy season is just beginning...

We also seem to be having some electrical problems...This house is basically wired to ignite at any moment, and we've lived quite happily with this eventuality for some time now...It's sort of like knowing that you're going to die...it's a fact, but you try not to think about it too often. Until today. It's been raining for the better part of 36 hours, and in the middle of our much needed beauty rest the electricity went out. We discovered this by waking up to a very quiet, hot house. We called the electric company and the guy came out and told us that we do in fact have power on his end...but somewhere in the house there is a short, and perhaps in the next week or so we should have an electrician come out, good luck until then. Very helpful.

Luckily, my dad knows most of the people in the civillized world, and most of them owe him a favor of some sort, so we did, in fact find an electrician who could come out on a holiday weekend in the pouring rain. I'm not sure what he did, as I was hiding out at my aunts house, but 3 hours after the emergent crisis, we have lights and fans and a working refridgerator. The short seems to be in the air conditioning which is lucky only in that it's supposed to be unseasonably cool for the next week or so. Hurray for divine intervention!

I also have a very painful kidney infection...perhaps some kidney stones. We were out of bottled water for the better part of a week, and apparently it is unwise to subsist on Diet Pepsi. I'm now taking some antibiotics and something called Azo Standard to numb my urinary tract, this wonder drug has the added bonus of turning my bodily fluids a particularly enchanting shade of neon orange.

If you need me I'll be in the corner contemplating Murphy's Law.

No comments: